START SMART WITH BREAKFAST!!
Did you know that eating a good breakfast could be one of the most important decisions you make each day?
When you sleep, you're actually fasting from food. After a night's rest, it's important to "break - the - fast" and start your day with a healthy meal to awaken your body and your mind! WHY?
- People who eat breakfast tend to be in better shape than those who skip!
- Kids who have breakfast do better with school tasks and get better grades!
- Breakfast boosts your metabolism to burn calories & help you think and move!
- Eating breakfast can boost your mood, improve your focus and concentration!
SO, WHAT makes a good breakfast?
Think about each food group and try to include as many as possible for a balanced breakfast! Here are some examples:
- Whole grain toast or bagel with peanut butter & jelly, and skim or 1% milk
- Vegetable omelet and whole grain English muffin, and fresh fruit cup
- Whole grain/high fiber cereal, skim or 1% milk, with fresh or dried fruit.
- Low fat/whole grain waffles or pancakes, berries, skim or 1% milk or yogurt.
- Low fat or nonfat yogurt, dried fruit & nut mix, 100% fruit juice.
- Leftovers from dinner or lunch foods, like sandwiches, too!
What if you're in a HURRY? You can grab these:
- "Instant breakfast"- Whip up a smoothie or meal shake with skim or 1% milk and/or yogurt, fresh or frozen fruit, and ice. Add non fat dry milk, whey, or soy protein powder to add more protein, if desired.
- Have a breakfast bar - A complete one would contain at least 8-10 grams of protein, 3 grams of fiber and not too much sugar. (4 grams =1 tsp.)
- Hard boiled egg and juice.
- Low fat cheese stick and fruit.
- Nuts and drinkable yogurt.
- Bagel and skim or1% milk.
Remember: If you want to make the most of each day, start smart with breakfast!!
Written by Mary Jo Parker, MS, RD, CDN, Nutrition Consultant to Personal Touch Food Services, Inc.