Job Title – Assistant Cook/Group Leader
Reports To – Unit/Food Service Manager
The purpose of this job description is to communicate the overall purpose, key responsibilities, and duties associated with this position. The Personal Touch company philosophy requires that all employees contribute on a team basis for the purpose of overall company success. While the following information should be considered a comprehensive description of this position, it should be noted that some responsibilities and duties may not be specifically addressed. Personal Touch reserves the right to amend or change this description at any time.
Through working collaboratively with the Group Leader/Cook, the Assistant Cook supports the Group Leader/Cook in fulfilling the responsibility of overseeing the kitchen work flow at his/her assigned unit to ensure that meals are prepared in an efficient and effective manner. The Assistant Cook’s role is that of a continuous learner who aggressively seeks to maintain a familiarity and comfort with the operational requirements of the unit. In the absence of the Group Leader/Cook, the Assistant Cook may be required to assume the responsibilities of that position on an interim basis.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of the Group Leader/Cook
- Share with the Group Leader/Cook the responsibility for planning and executing overall food preparation including defining the required steps for successful food preparation and delegating responsibilities appropriately to kitchen staff.
- Sample, smell and evaluates food to ensure conformance to recipes and standards of taste and appearance.
- Be knowledgeable of quality standards and required portion sizes and ensure food is served in compliance with both. Report any non-compliance to the Group Leader/Cook for corrective action.
- Maintain an awareness of the physical location and productivity of all kitchen staff throughout their shift to ensure each employee stays on task with his/her individual responsibility. Report any non-compliance to the Group Leader/Cook for corrective action.
- Monitor supply levels and collaborate with Group Leader/Cook for effective ordering.
- Make recommendations to the Group Leader/Cook relative to inventory control including ways to effectively utilize food surplus and supplies to capitalize on investments made and control costs.
- Have a familiarity of the requirements of daily production records as well as with relevant vendor contacts and inventory files.
- Assist the Group Leader/Cook with monitoring all elements of the kitchen environment including the storage temperature of all food products; the temperature of water in dish machine and; and cooler and freezer temperature on a daily basis. Support the Group Leader/Cook with maintaining environmental records as necessary.
- Responsible for sanitary conditions in the all work areas that meet or exceed health department requirements.
- At the end of shift, check the entire facility for cleanliness of physical plant and all equipment. Ensure that all security measures are in tack to guard against theft.
Duties and Responsibilities of All Personal Touch Employees
- The philosophy at Personal Touch includes providing all customers with memorable service. The service provided by every person at our company touches multiple customers both internally and externally. All customers must be treated with courtesy and respect and every effort should be made to ensure customer satisfaction at all times.
- Effective communication is key to customer service. It is the employee’s responsibility to refrain from profanity, harsh words, or derogatory/inappropriate comments and communicate in a business appropriate manner.
- Personnel at Personal Touch are required to maintain a professional appearance at all times. This includes good hygiene; and, dressing in clean, neat, professional clothing or uniforms as required. Specific food service hygiene and dress code requirements are addressed separately in the employee manual.
- Employee reliability is key to exceptional customer service. Productive attendance during your scheduled hours and timeliness are essential. If unable to work your scheduled shift, reporting requirements are outlined in the employee manual.
- Continuous learning is a core requirement at Personal Touch. It is the company’s expectation that all employees are open to and engaged in professional growth opportunities including cross-training for other positions, teambuilding activities, and skills training programs offered by the company.
- The health and safety of our employees is of paramount importance at Personal Touch. Compliance with safety regulations and reporting all on-the-job accidents and injuries as outlined in the employee manual is required.
- The health and safety of our customers is also of paramount importance at Personal Touch. Compliance with health department regulations, sanitation requirements, and food safety training is required.
- Attitude is everything! Employees at Personal Touch are expected to maintain a positive “can do” attitude when communicating with internal and external customers. Any concerns regarding your position or problems you may experience in the workplace should be addressed privately with your supervisor.
- All employees should be aware that new or additional responsibilities outside the scope of this job description may be assigned by management as necessary.
Education and/or Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Two to four years experience in the food service field with one year preferably in a supervisory capacity
- Knowledge of foodstuffs is essential with some food production experience necessary
- Must possess basic math skills, ability to handle money accurately and basic knowledge of cash registers
- Must be able to work at a moderate to fast pace
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $11.50/hour to $12.00 /hour based upon experience